- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
- Sanding sugar
2. Divide the dough in half, flatten into disks on a lightly floured surface, and place each between sheets of parchment or wax paper. Roll the dough 1/4 inch thick. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or freeze for at least 1 hour.
3. Center the oven rack and preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
4. If using 2-inch cookie cutters, cut out the first batch of cookies and, using an offset spatula, gently transfer the cookies to muffin tins to help the cookies retain their perfect shape during baking.
5. Sprinkle the cookies with sanding sugar and bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown on their bottoms and around their edges. Cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheet or in the muffin tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Continue cutting and baking, always using a cool baking sheet as you gather the scraps of dough, roll, chill, cut, and bake. We think you can take it from here.